New Beginnings Posted on February 12th, 2014 by

By JoNes VanHecke

It might seem odd to talk about “new beginnings” in the cold, dark days of February when winter seems to hold us tightly in her freezing grasp but a new beginning is exactly where we find ourselves just now on the hill.  New beginnings are all around us – we’ve barely cracked open 2014, the new semester is just upon us and now, thanks to Charlie Potts and the Professional Development Committee, we have another new beginning with our Student Life blog!  When I pause and reflect, I realize we have a lot of “new” going on in Student Life at Gustavus.  More than 25% of the Student Life staff is either new or in new positions this academic year and there will be a new president leading the college this summer.

I like new.  I’m typically enthusiastic about the change that comes with all things new.  Years ago a friend of mine said to me, “You just love to tip over the apple cart, don’t you?”  He knows me well.  Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t love the chaos that comes with apples rolling all over the floor but I do love the opportunity to consider if there is a better way to arrange the apples as I put them all back into the cart.  I’m inspired by the idea of a fresh start.  What isn’t to love about the fresh start?  It’s a chance to try it again, to improve upon the last effort and to get one step closer to doing it right.  The fresh start is the easiest moment to ask the question, “What is possible?”  When we look at our work with fresh perspective, we see all that can be.  The potential of what can lie ahead is motivating.

So my question for each of us, is how to do we hold onto that sense of possibility, of potential, of freshness when we’re feeling bogged down with no end in sight?  Honestly, I think its 99% attitude.  We choose everyday how we’re going to respond to the demands of our jobs.  We choose how we’re going to respond to our students, our colleagues and everything else life throws at us.  I say choose to keep it fresh, choose to see the potential in the curves that come our way and in the complexities of our work.  Strive to remember that our students need our very best and that each encounter we have with someone is an opportunity to make a difference.  Take a moment each day to pause and remind yourself that you can decide to start a new and be inspired by possibilities!